Senior Medicare Patrol (SMP) is a volunteer based program whose goal is to educate the seniors in Alabama about Medicare and Medicaid fraud, waste and abuse. Losing Medicare/Medicaid dollars hurts beneficiaries because premiums, co-payments and deductibles go up, and benefits could go down.
Most health care professionals are honest and bill responsibly, but mistakes can occur. Even honest mistakes should be corrected. The goal of Senior Medicare Patrol (SMP) is to ensure that Medicare beneficiaries can trust the care they receive.
Always check your Medicare Summary Notice! Here are some examples to watch for:
- Billing for services or supplies not provided.
- Applying for duplicated payments.
- Billing for equipment not delivered or no longer used.
- Billing for non-covered services as covered.
- Ordering unnecessary lab services.
If you suspect Medicare/Medicaid fraud, waste, or abuse in Alabama, do not hesitate!