The overall purpose of the SenioRx program is to provide prescription drug assistance to persons 55 years of age and older by helping these low income older adults receive free prescription drugs from pharmaceutical manufacturers. The SenioRx program relies on the guidelines set forth by the pharmaceutical companies providing the drugs.
TARCOG contracts with the County Commissions in each of the TARCOG counties to implement this program. SenioRx clients, or their family members or representatives, must make an appointment with the respective county SenioRx office to file for medication assistance.
SenioRx is 100% funded by the State Legislature. This program is not operated under the Older Americans Act. In fiscal year 2019, the SenioRx program saved 994 seniors in the TARCOG region $3,954,000.00 in drug costs.
To qualify for our help in applying for no or low cost prescription drugs through programs offered by pharmaceutical companies, you must meet the following criteria:
Be a legal resident of the state of Alabama and apply in your legal county of residence.
- Be 55 years of age or older.
- Have at least one chronic medical condition and taking daily medication for the condition.
- Have an income at 200% of the poverty level (Some pharmaceutical companies allow higher incomes, so please come in for an evaluation even if you feel your income may be too high.)
- Have no prescription drug coverage or insufficient drug coverage.
- Have a Medicare Part D plan but are in the coverage gap for services (donut hole) -or- have a Medicare Part D plan that does not cover your drugs.
For those who are disabled…
- Be any age and disabled. Disabled may mean that you:
- Have been declared disabled by Social Security
- Have applied for Social Security Disability, or
- Have a doctor’s declaration of disability.
- Have no prescription drug coverage or insufficient drug coverage. This includes being in the 24 month gap for Medicare once on Social Security disability.
*Please note that these guidelines above are not the pharmaceutical companies’ guidelines. They are guidelines that determine who SenioRx may assist with applying for prescription assistance programs through the pharmaceutical companies. No matter what the SenioRx guidelines for eligibility are, your final eligibility will be determined by each pharmaceutical company’s program guidelines.